You will be logged off in  seconds due to inactivity and risk losing your quote. Click here to continue using this web page.

Insurance Jargon

Rhino Trade Insurance 02 August 2021

We sell insurance but believe it or not; we're human too. We know the language associated with insurance policies can be challenging to understand. We want to make selecting the right insurance policy as simple and hassle-free as possible, so here's some insurance jargon you may have come across and a brief explanation from us. 



Also written as a 'deductible' in some insurance policies, the excess refers to the amount of money you are subject to pay should you make a successful insurance claim.



The Policy is the document issued by the insurance provider where the terms of the contract will be detailed, along with a Schedule. As such, the Policy is your legal evidence that you're insured and sets out the specifics of your cover.



When reviewing insurance policies, indemnity refers to the person or party within the contract that is responsible for compensating the other.


Territorial limit

Some insurance policies are only valid if you operate in a specific geographic region. Territorial limits are therefore included to stipulate where your insurance coverage is valid.


Employers liability

Should you hire staff to help you conduct your business, employer's liability insurance protects you, as the employer, if an employee submits a claim against you.


Public liability

Refers to cover that protects you from legal fees and compensation claims that are made by a member of the public. For example, if a member of the public is harmed as a result of your business.


Bona fide subcontractors

Some contractors are hired to carry out a specific job on site (like a plumber, electrician, etc.) and work independently. These professionals have their own liability insurance and are legally responsible for their own work.


Labour-only subcontractor

This term is used to describe someone under your professional direction, but they're not necessarily an employee. They use the tools and materials supplied by your company and are required to comply with your health and safety regulations.


Other Jargon

Don't be intimidated by the legal babble. While it can be confusing, fully understanding the specifics of your tradesman insurance policies will help you significantly in the long run. We go to great lengths to make our policies easy to understand so you can quickly make a decision. However, if any of our customers have questions, our UK-based support team are available six days per week. So if you need any help or support when browsing our insurance, call us on 0116 243 7904 or contact our customer services team.


How To Unwind After a Hard Days Graft
How To Unwind After a Hard Days Graft

Rhino Trade Insurance 25 April 2022

It’s basically summer in the UK. The weather has been absolutely banging! But what with the days lasting longer we were wondering what to get up to on an evening. That’s why we wanted to offer something different today, some decent ideas for unwinding after a hard day's graft. Let’s go!

Read more

Tools In Transit Insurance In a Nutshell
Tools In Transit Insurance In a Nutshell

Rhino Trade Insurance 11 April 2022

Understanding tools insurance should be easy. Here at Rhino Trade Insurance, we provide thousands of UK tradesmen with top cover for their tools.

Read more

Employers Liability Insurance in a Nutshell
Employers Liability Insurance in a Nutshell

Rhino Trade Insurance 28 March 2022

Employers Liability Insurance covers you if you hire any employees and is applicable to both sole traders and limited companies. It also is a requirement if you hire subcontractors who don’t hold their own cover. Subbies that hold their own cover are referred to as ‘bona fide’ and will have their own levels of insurance in place.

Read more


Our team of experts are available to talk to Mon-Fri 08.30-17.30 and Sat 10.00-14.00

online chat

Our team are online during office hours. Send a message if you have a query.


Call our team of experts during the office hours noted above.


No problem. Fill in our quick form and let us know when’s a good time for you.