You will be logged off in  seconds due to inactivity and risk losing your quote. Click here to continue using this web page.


There are around 100,000 self-employed builders operating in the UK right now. And they all need Builders Insurance.

Whether you’re a contractor or subcontractor, this applies to you. Without insurance, any self-employed person in the building trade risks losing everything from one bad day on the job.

Rhino, the UK’s trade insurance specialists, are here to tell you all about the importance of trade insurance for builders, and the different types of cover you need to keep your self-employed building business 100% protected.

The Importance of Tailored Insurance for Builders: Why One-Size Doesn't Fit All

Building jobs come in all shapes and sizes – from groundwork to overseeing luxury mega-projects. But one thing doesn’t change – the fact that every builder needs insurance.

No two builders are the same – they all face different risks in their day-to-day work. This is why there is no one-size-fits-all solution when it comes to Builders Insurance. Here are a few things which affect your insurance requirement as a self-employed builder:

  • The size of your building business
  • The risk profile of the type of jobs you do
  • Whether you have employees – and how many
  • The limits of indemnity you choose on your policies
  • Whether you want extra protection for tool theft, legal expenses and more.

These variable factors explain why tailored insurance solutions are so important for self-employed builders. Luckily, this is exactly what Rhino Trade Insurance offers. Our customers choose the insurance policies they need to cover the particular risks they face in their work and build their own personalised bundle of low-cost trade insurance.

Get Your Instant Quote

rhino mug on building site

Understanding Public Liability: How Much Cover Do Builders Really Need?

Let’s look at the first and arguably most important type of builder’s insurance – Public Liability Insurance.

This policy is a must-have for every builder. When you’re working in construction, the scope for things to go wrong is huge and in most cases, you’re financially liable when it does. Public Liability Insurance will protect you from liability for third-party accidents which happen on or around your job site, as well as damage to third-party property.

When it comes to cover limits, it’s up to you. There is no legal requirement for Public Liability Insurance in the UK, although most building contracts will stipulate that you need a certain amount to be hired onto a job. This can be anywhere from £1million up to £10million. 

The larger your business and the riskier your work, the more Public Liability Insurance cover you’ll need. Public Liability Insurance claims can get very expensive, so as long as you budget for the monthly/ annual premiums, you should take out enough to cover even worst-case scenarios like causing accidental death.

Get Your Instant Quote


Tools of the Trade: Ensuring Your Equipment is Protected

A builder’s tools are integral to their trade. Without them, there is no money to be made. 

Tools Insurance is a smart policy for builders to have in place for if their precious tools are damaged, lost or stolen. This policy is more important than ever with tool theft a huge and growing problem for the UK’s tradespeople. In fact, tools are stolen in the UK every 23 minutes!

With Rhino’s Tools in Transit Insurance, you can cover your tools for up to £7,500. It even covers tools left in your van overnight.

Add our low-cost Tools in Transit Insurance to your core Public Liability Insurance cover and never have to pay to replace a set of nicked tools again.

Get Your Instant Quote

Legal Challenges in the Building Industry: How to Safeguard Your Business

Builders in the UK can come up against different types of challenges in their work. These might include contractual disputes, property disputes, being sued for professional negligence and appearing at health and safety or employment tribunals. 

Plenty of self-employed people in the construction industry will have to defend themselves in legal matters at some point during their careers.

When legal issues arise, most builders don’t have a pot of money set aside for the inevitable pile-up of legal bills and costs. This is where Legal Expenses Insurance from Rhino Trade Insurance comes in. With this cover, builders can get up to £50,000 to cover your costs for a wide range of legal disputes. 

Rhino’s Legal Expenses Insurance policy also gives customers access to a legal helpline, where builders can get unlimited legal advice and speak to an expert in the legal side of the industry. This super-useful cover will even give you up to £100 per day to cover jury duty.

Get Your Instant Quote


builder working on site

Navigating Tax Enquiries: How Insurance Can Defend and Protect You

Those working in the UK’s construction industry can find themselves on the receiving end of an HMRC tax enquiry. Tax enquiries can really throw off a small contracting business. That’s because they can be time-consuming, stressful, and can even result in you having to pay huge sums in taxes and/or fines in error.

The hours spent compiling documents, going back through tax records and meeting with HMRC to reach a resolution can really take their toll, especially when you should be focusing on your day job. Defending your status as a bona-fide contractor, for example, will take a lot of time, cash and energy that you probably don’t have to spare. 

As building contractors are at particular risk of becoming the subject of a tax investigation, it really pays to have tax enquiry insurance as a self-employed worker in the UKs construction industry. 

With Tax Enquiry Insurance from Rhino, you will get an expert to manage your case. They will offer invaluable advice and guidance, take care of correspondence and meetings with HMRC and help you defend yourself should your case go to court. It’s like having a guardian angel on your shoulder should HMRC come calling.

Tax Enquiry Insurance customers also benefit from access to an expert helpline, where a tax expert is waiting to answer any questions you might have.

Find Out More


Damage to a customer’s property - For those builders who are self-employed, it is recommended that you are covered by builders public liability insurance. This insurance will cover you against injury or damage to property which may have been caused by you whilst carrying out your work.

Tools damaged or stolen from your vehicle - Without tools, builders may not be able to carry out their job and as a consequence income may be affected. Tools in transit insurance is ideal for tradesmen who regularly carry tools in their vehicle, as this insurance covers the cost of repair or replacement.

How Does Builders Insurance Work?

Simply choose the Rhino policies you need, and the levels of cover you need. Then, we’ll give you your price. Pay for your premiums monthly or annually – we don’t charge you extra for spreading the cost. 

All self-employed builders need Public Liability Insurance, so this is considered a core policy. You can either take it out as a standalone, or select from a range of valuable add-on policies to create your bespoke insurance solution, tailored to your business.

Rhino also offer dozens of ready-to-go bundles for every type of builder, from pebble dashers to garage erectors. Just choose your cover limits and you’re good to go!

Still have questions? Check out our Builders Insurance FAQs below or give us a call on 0116 243 7904.

Get Your Instant Quote


Get an Instant Quote

Tell us your trade and get a tailored insurance quote for your business in seconds


Our team of experts are available to talk to Mon-Fri 08.30-17.30 and Sat 10.00-14.00

online chat

Online Chat

Our team are online during office hours. Send a message if you have a query.



Call our team of experts during the office hours noted above.


Not ready to talk?

No problem. Fill in our quick form and let us know when’s a good time for you.

0 product(s)
Total: £0.00

The price you’ll pay. No surprises later

All payments inclusive of IPT.