What is a Public Liability Insurance claim?
Rhino Trade Insurance has assisted thousands of tradesmen across the UK to successfully win compensation after suffering a personal injury through public liability insurance. Today, Rhino Trade Insurance wanted to explain a public liability claim and how you can start one today.
What you need to know about public liability insurance claims
Public Liability Insurance is by far and away the most popular, valuable and damn right sensible cover a tradesperson needs! As a skilled tradesman with bags of experience, you are continuously exposed to risks and hazards on a job. That's why this insurance is the most beneficial; it covers a policyholder in the case of a claim made against them. Claims can occur due to accident, injury or third-party damage caused by the insured person's work, accidental death, or potential damage to customers' property.
Types of public liability claims
There are various ways in which a tradesman can get injured. That's why we are here! To help you with your claim:
- Any form of slip, trip or fall on any site can be a hazard resulting in a claim.
- Injury from objects - falling from height or injury caused by a tool
- Any obstacles on the road, public paths or general trip hazards.
How to make a public liability claim
Public liability claims are subject to time limitations. In the UK, you can claim within three years of the accident. You should make a claim as soon as possible so that there is more time to build the best possible case for you.
Five stages broadly define the process:
- Initial assessment
- Consultation and fact-finding
- Claim submission
- Settlement and payment
How much will I get from my public liability claim?
When injuring yourself on-site, a tradesman can expose themselves to claims ranging from thousands to millions of pounds! Depending on the severity of the injuries, the impact it has on someone's life, the losses that are a direct result of the injury. Each and every public liability claim is different, and it's difficult to know for sure what the final compensation figure will be.
Types of personal injury compensation
Two types of compensation can be claimed for: General damages and Special damages. General damages are based on medical evidence: typically, a medical expert's report on the injuries suffered must be obtained. The amount of compensation includes how the injuries affect you now and in the future.
Special damages are intended to put you back in the financial position you were in as if the accident had never happened. This means any out of pocket costs like travel to medical appointments, damage to belongings, loss in earnings, or other expenses. Any receipts and invoices should be kept where possible to prove these losses.
Example of Public Liability Claims for Tradesmen
Working as a busy tradesman can bring potential hazards and dangers that many other professions do not. Having the right insurance in place means that you are covered in the event of an accident occurring at work that results in a claim being made. Below are some examples of scenarios that could be covered under a tradesman public liability insurance policy:
- A plumber fitting a new bathroom causes a flood due to a faulty fitting. The customer claims against the plumber for the damage caused. The insurance will cover the costs of the claim, including legal expenses and any compensation awarded for rectifying the damage done.
- A kitchen fitter, fitting a kitchen, attaches a door incorrectly. When the door is opened, it falls on the customer, causing injury. The insurance will cover the cost of any claim, including medical bills or lost income due to time off work.
Why choose Rhino Trade Insurance for your Public Liability Cover?
- £1M, £2M, and £5M levels of cover available
- Option to add Employers' Liability cover
- Starts at just £6.07 per month
- Optional cover for multiple trades/business activities
- Instant cover with documents immediately
- Monthly or annual payment options
- UK telephone support
Public Liability Insurance is the most common form of tradesman insurance. It is a commodity to any self-employed professional working in the trades. Here at Rhino Trade Insurance, we offer cover at some of the best rates on the market. Through our unique online quote engine, we can provide accurate quotes within just 30 seconds.