You will be logged off in  seconds due to inactivity and risk losing your quote. Click here to continue using this web page.

FAQ'S - Personal Accident INSURANCE

What is Personal Accident Insurance?

Personal Accident cover pays out lump sum compensation at your chosen limit of indemnity if you suffer from a serious injury or death as a result of an accident. The compensation can help protect against loss of income and help with other bills and expenses whilst you are unable to work.

Do I need Personal Accident Insurance?

Although Personal Accident Insurance is not a legal requirement, there is certainly a benefit to having this cover in place. It provides you with peace of mind that should you be injured in an accident you will receive a lump sum to assist with your financial commitments and expenses. This is particularly important for self-employed tradespeople. If you can’t physically work, then you will be unable to earn money and given the nature of the work you undertake accidents can happen.

How many individuals does it cover?

Each Policy covers one person. If cover is required for additional people, the individuals will need to purchase cover themselves separately. Note that to be eligible for cover you need to:

  • Be resident in the United Kingdom (living in the UK for 40 weeks of every 52 week period after the start date);
  • Employed and working for a minimum of 16 hours per week or self-employed
  • Over 18 years of age;
  • Under 65 years of age.

If you purchase cover before the age of 65 it will automatically end when you attain the age of 67.

What are the benefit limits?

Depending on the level of cover selected you will receive the benefits listed below in the event of an accident. You obviously need to consider how much you will need in the event of an accident and weigh this up against the cost of the premium.

- Level 1 Level 2 Level 3
Permanent Total Disablement (PTD) £25,000 £37,500 £50,000
Quadriplegia £25,000 £37,500 £50,000
Paraplegia £25,000 £37,500 £50,000
Permanent Brain Damage £25,000 £37,500 £50,000
Loss Of Speech £12,500 £18,750 £25,000
Loss Of Hearing in both ears £12,500 £18,750 £25,000
Loss of hearing one ear £2,500 £3,750 £5,000
Use of Shoulder/Elbow £5,000 £7,500 £10,000
Use of Wrist, Thumb, Hip, Knee or Ankle £3,750 £5,625 £7,500
Use of Any Finger or Big Toe £1,250 £1,875 £2,500
Use of Any Other Toe £625 £935 £1,250
Burns £2,500 £3,750 £5,000
Fractures Grade 3 £300 £450 £600
Fractures Grade 2 £200 £300 £400
Fractures Grade 1 £150 £225 £300
Loss of Sight Both Eyes £25,000 £37,500 £50,000
Loss of Sight One Eye £12,500 £18,750 £25,000
Loss of Two Limbs £25,000 £37,500 £50,000
Loss of One Limb £12,500 £18,750 £25,000
Daily Hospital Benefit Per Day £25 £35 £50
Lump-Sum Hospital Benefit £250 £375 £500
Accidental Death £12,500 £18,750 £25,000

What is the excess on the policy?

There is no excess on the policy, although you cannot claim for a fracture that occurs in the first 30 days of the Policy.

What is the maximum amount that that Policy will pay out?

The maximum the Policy will pay out for all claims during the life of the Policy is a sum equal to the loss of sight in both eyes.

The maximum number of fracture claims the Policy will pay out for each person insured under this policy for any one year period is 4.

Note that where you claim for multiple accidents the benefit for the second and subsequent accident may be reduced by the amount already paid. Please read the Policy Wording for full details.

What does the hospitalisation benefit cover?

This provides a daily benefit up to the limit of indemnity for each 24 hour period in hospital, excluding the first 24 hours in the hospital and up to a maximum of 45 days for each accident.

What accidents will the Policy not cover?

As with any insurance Policy some things are not covered, including accidents that occur:

  • Prior to the start date or after the cover ends
  • An accident that happens to an insured person who has been outside of the United Kingdom for more than 12 weeks in the preceding 52 week period.
  • When you are riding a motorcycle, moped or scooter (as driver or passenger)
  • Rock climbing or mountaineering
  • Suicide or self-inflicted injuries
  • Where you are under the influence of alcohol or drugs
  • Illegal acts
  • Flying, except as a fare paying passenger
  • Competing in a race other than on foot or whilst swimming
  • Where the accident occurs in a country that you have been advised not to travel to or avoid by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office.

We recommend that you read the full Policy Terms and Conditions before purchasing cover.

What are the payment terms?

You can choose to pay in full for 12 months or on a rolling monthly payment basis.

When does the Policy cover start and end?

The dates of cover are specified in your policy schedule. The policy will remain in force as long as you continue to pay your monthly premium, but it will end when you attain the age of 67 or when you retire (whichever is sooner), if you die or if cancelled by us.

Get an Instant Quote

Tell us your trade and get a tailored insurance quote for your business in seconds


Our team of experts are available to talk to Mon-Fri 08.30-17.30 and Sat 10.00-14.00

online chat

Online Chat

Our team are online during office hours. Send a message if you have a query.



Call our team of experts during the office hours noted above.


Not ready to talk?

No problem. Fill in our quick form and let us know when’s a good time for you.