You will be logged off in  seconds due to inactivity and risk losing your quote. Click here to continue using this web page.


Physical fitness, an eye for design and an appreciation for the great outdoors. Gardeners and landscapers have all this in spades.

But let’s not beat around the bush. Gardening and landscaping work can be dangerous and the relatively high chance of something going wrong while you’re on a job means you need solid protection. Let’s take a look at Gardeners Insurance and why you should never be without it.

What is Gardeners Insurance?

Gardeners Insurance is a must for anyone working on garden, patio, landscaping and outdoor jobs in commercial or domestic spaces. Rhino's policies will protect you against third party injury and damage caused by any work you do, as well as protection from a whole range of other risks. 

With Rhino, you can build your own insurance cover. Add only the policies your business needs – helping you achieve personalised protection from anything the profession has to throw at you.


Public Liability Insurance for Gardeners

At the core of any Gardeners Insurance bundle is Public Liability Insurance, the policy that protects you from liability for third-party incidents. In the unfortunate event that you injured yourself at work or accidentally caused someone else harm, our Public Liability Insurance offers cover up to £ 10 million. 

Rhino’s bestselling policy offers:

  • Low price from £72.80 annually for £ 1 million cover.
  • Excess of £500 as standard on all claims.
  • Free mid-term adjustments, no admin fees.
  • Interest-free monthly payment options, no Direct Debit fees.
  • Can be purchased online or over the phone.
  • Employers Liability Insurance and other add-ons available at great prices.
  • Instant certificates and documentation sent to your e-mail.


Different Jobs, Different Risks

Gardening and landscaping work isn’t your average job, and those working in these specialist trades face unique risks and challenges. This is why it’s important for gardeners and landscapers to be covered by insurance which is specially designed for them. 

Some gardeners have employees working under them, some work with hazardous equipment and machinery, and some work closely alongside members of the public. These risks need to be reflected in every gardener and landscapers’ insurance coverage, otherwise they will leave themselves wide open to expensive compensation claims or costly legal battles.

When you’re running your own business, you should be insured against the most common risks you face. But what risks might be faced by a gardener or landscaper?

Here’s just a few to get you going:

  • Personal injuries 

Accidents leading to personal injuries, including falls, accidents involving machinery or the environment.

  • Damaging client property

Causing accidental damage to client’s property – a broken window, a smashed garden ornament or a scratch down the side of a car.

  • Third-party injuries

Causing harm to third parties while you’re working – a passerby tripping over your equipment, a curious onlooker gets too close to your rotating blades, or a customer gets a rash from a chemical you used.

  • Injuries to employees

Causing harm to an employee – sunburn, dehydration, excess noise, injury from a tool or piece of machinery or fall from a ladder.

  • Tool loss

The loss, theft or damage of vital and expensive tools or equipment, leaving you unable to work.

  • Legal issues

A client, employee, landlord or supplier, sues you for breach of contract, negligence or unfinished work.

  • Tax enquiries 

An HMRC investigation is launched into your tax affairs as a self-employed tradesperson, leading to reclassification or incorrect backdated tax bills.


Get Quote


What Do These Risks Mean for Your Gardening or Landscaping Business?

Something going wrong while you’re carrying out your gardening and landscaping work can cost you a lot. We are not just talking about the pain, suffering and inconvenience of the incident itself. Accidents, damage and legal trouble can cost your business a fortune.

When something happens at work and you’re liable, it will be down to you to settle the costs that come along with it. Those costs can be made up of legal fees, payouts for injuries and recovery time, missed wages for an injured party and compensation for damage to property, to name a few. 

A claim being made against your gardening and landscaping business can end up being very costly to you. There is no set amount that claims will cost, as they vary hugely depending on the nature and severity of the incident, ranging from thousands to even millions of pounds.

To make sure that the cost of such claims doesn’t fall to you, it’s vital that your gardening and landscaping business or solo enterprise is covered by insurance.



Garden jar outside



What Can Rhino Do to Help?

At Rhino, we can give you everything you need in one place. Rhino is a one-stop-shop for all your gardeners insurance coverage needs. With us, create a personalised bundle of policies which cover your specific business, meaning you’re not paying for cover you don’t need. 

Rhino Trade Insurance understand the unique risks faced by those in the gardening and landscaping trades. We know that you need to be covered for each eventuality, so that whatever happens, you’re protected.

Rhino offers a range of policies which come under the umbrella of Gardeners Insurance. These policies have been specially chosen to protect tradespeople who work in these professions, to ensure they don’t have the heavy burden of compensation claims and other risks fall on their shoulders.

From expert advice helplines to generous cover limits, Rhino are the best in the business when it comes to policies for hardworking tradespeople. No matter what the nature of your work is, we will help you find the perfect insurance solution for you.


Why Rhino?

We’re the experts. Get in touch with Rhino today to find out how your business can benefit from our outstanding coverage or cut to the chase and buy your cover online in just a few minutes. All Rhino’s Gardener's Insurance policies can be purchased easily online, and tradespeople can get quotes quickly within 30 seconds. If you'd prefer to speak to a member of the Rhino team, then our telephone lines are open six days a week on 0116 243 7904.

At Rhino, we also know you don’t have time to mess around when it’s time to seek advice or make a claim. That’s why it’s so easy to get in touch with our team, who will make sure you’re on the right track without unnecessary delays. 

Here are some of the policies we offer to gardeners and landscapers:

Public & Employers Liability Insurance

Public Liability Insurance protects you and your business so that you'll be covered against any compensation, damages or legal costs that may come your way in the event of a legal claim against you.

Employer’s Liability Insurance can be purchased as a low-cost add-on policy alongside your core Public Liability cover with Rhino. This policy (a legal requirement in the UK) protects you from liability when an employee is harmed while working for you.

Professional Indemnity Insurance

This handy policy protects your gardening or landscaping business from the costs of being sued for professional negligence or advice you’ve given which has caused clients to lose out financially. You shouldn’t be without this policy if you offer professional advice, designs or plans in the course of your work. 

Should someone bring a professional negligence claim against you, a quick call to Rhino will mean policyholders don’t need to stress. We will take care of the costs associated with the claim, as well as any settlement sum to be paid to the claimant. 

Legal Expenses Insurance

Smart tradespeople take out this specialist insurance to cover the costs of legal troubles which can rear their ugly heads for self-employed tradespeople. Anything from breach of contract, tenancy disputes (for business premises), employment issues and even wrongful arrest can be smoothed along by access to an expert legal helpline and up to £50,000 for policyholders. 

Tools in Transit Insurance

Having your tools lost, damaged or stolen used to mean a very bad month for a self-employed trade business. Now, with Rhino’s Tools in Transit Insurance, you can be back up and running in no time with up to £10,000 to cover your precious kit. Tool theft is on the rise in the UK – so it’s never been more important to cover your tools. Rhino’s amazing policy even lets you keep your tools in your van overnight.

Tax Enquiry Insurance

If HMRC decide to launch an investigation into your tax affairs (which is quite common among self-employed tradespeople), then you’ll need to bring in the professionals. But if, like most people, you don’t have a fund set aside for this, you need to add Tax Enquiry Insurance to your Gardener’s Insurance bundle with Rhino trade insurance. Our experts will handle communication with HMRC on your behalf, and give you access to first-class legal advice as well as a £50,000 kitty to help you fight your case.

Personal Accident & Sickness Insurance

Every tradesperson fears an accident or illness which causes them to miss a few weeks of work. For a tradesperson like a gardener or landscaper, any sustained period of time off sick is simply not an option, as it means their income will dry up. For anyone without significant savings in these trades needs to take out a good personal accident policy to ensure that if something happens to you, you can still make ends meet for you and your family.


Get Quote





What insurance does a self-employed gardener need?

Self-employed gardeners need comprehensive Gardeners Insurance which may include Public Liability Insurance, Employer’s Liability Insurance, Professional Indemnity Insurance, Legal Expenses Insurance, Tax Enquiry Insurance, Tool Insurance and Personal Accident Insurance. Not every gardener will need every policy – which is why Rhino offers our customers the option to build their own bespoke policy from scratch.

Can I add cover for a different trade or profession to my business insurance policy?

With Rhino you can. Many of our tradespeople operate in two or more trades, such as joinery and plumbing. Give the friendly Rhino team a call today and find out how we can help you get set up.

Can I add cover for a different trade or profession mid-way through my policy?

Mid-term adjustments are free and straightforward with Rhino. We don’t charge our customers admin fees, unlike most insurers. 

What’s the difference between paying by Direct Debit and paying in one lump sum?

With Rhino, there is no difference. Unlike most insurers, we don’t charge our customers extra to spread the cost by monthly payments. You can pay annually or by Direct Debit at no extra cost.

Will changing from sole trader to limited company affect my insurance policy?

Yes, there is a potential that this will affect your insurance premium. In any case, not notifying your insurer of a significant change to your business circumstances could invalidate your policy, so it’s important to tell your insurer of any changes to your business like this.


Get Quote

Get an Instant Quote

Tell us your trade and get a tailored insurance quote for your business in seconds


Our team of experts are available to talk to Mon-Fri 08.30-17.30 and Sat 10.00-14.00

online chat

Online Chat

Our team are online during office hours. Send a message if you have a query.



Call our team of experts during the office hours noted above.


Not ready to talk?

No problem. Fill in our quick form and let us know when’s a good time for you.

0 product(s)
Total: £0.00

The price you’ll pay. No surprises later

All payments inclusive of IPT.